If we wanted to lose weight, we were advised to eat salads (minus the yummy but unhealthy dressing) in place of our regular meals of curry with rice/roti. Salads do ensure that your body draws its energy from sources with more healthy fat content apart from providing the required amount of fibre.
Imagine if you could consume all the goodness of a salad in a few gulps, without having to chop up the veggies and fruits into tiny bits. Sounds great, doesn’t it? That’s what a smoothie is said to do, but, before you begin to turn all your veggies and fruits to colourful liquids, here are all the smoothie questions answered?
What really is a smoothie?
A smoothie is a thick beverage that consists of fruits or veggies or both, blended with liquids or ice. These liquids could water, milk curd or other dairy products. So you see, a milkshake is a kind of smoothie.
Are all smoothies healthy?
All smoothies aren’t healthy. If your smoothie consists of ingredients such as ice-cream, whipped cream, choco-chips or a lot of sugar, your smoothie won’t do you any good.
What makes a smoothie healthy?
Healthy ingredients make a healthy smoothie! It is quite as simple as that. When you use fresh vegetable or fruits with fresh milk, water or curd and add no sweeteners, you get a healthy smoothie.
Who is it for?
Anyone who wants to stay fit or lose some weight or for someone who is looking to detox his or her body.
Why do you lose weight using smoothies
The main reason smoothies help you in weight loss is that you can have your essential nutrients packed in one glass minus the extra calories. Once you learn about the ingredients that go into making a healthy smoothie, you will be able to create a perfect balance of carbs, good fats, protein, minerals, vitamin and other important nutrients.
You can control the ingredients in your smoothie, meaning you can pick and choose the nutrients that will work for you to attain weight loss, higher metabolism and greater energy levels. You can leave out the fattening ingredients like sugar and cream and thus avoid empty calories.
Which are the ingredients that will help me lose weight?
Here’s a list of ingredients that will work well to boost your weight loss, each of them has their unique contributing factor in raising your metabolism rate.
- Avocadoes: Not only will they make your smoothie creamy and yummy, but also provide you with healthy fat. It makes you feel full until the next meal and is loaded with many healthy vitamins and minerals.
- Berries: Berries contain plenty of fibre and antioxidants which keep you from snacking every now and then. It also enriches your smoothie with its lush flavour without adding a lot of calories or sugar.
- Cinnamon: This humble spice helps you control your blood sugar levels by facilitating the better metabolism of glucose. If you are looking to lose the fat from your abdomen area, this one ingredient you should always add to your smoothie.
- Coconut Oil: It is important that you consume healthy fats to lose weight and coconut oil is an important source of healthy fats. Your body uses the fat in coconut oil instead of simply storing it as fat. Make sure you add virgin coconut oil to your smoothie.
- Greek Yoghurt: Greek yoghurt is loaded with protein and hence keeps you satiated for long. Be sure to choose full-fat yoghurt. Avoid the flavoured ones as they contain added sugar.
- Greens: The benefits of green leafy vegetables are known to all; they have very high fibre content and are loaded with poly nutrients. They are also low-calorie food. Don’t eat the same greens daily; instead, keep varying them for optimal benefits.
- Fruit pulp: If you are in the habit of juicing your fruits, you are missing out on the fibrous part of the fruit. So instead of throwing the pulp away, use them in your smoothies.
- Chia Seeds: They are a very rich source of fibre and protein which keep you satiated. They are also packed with healthy nutrients such as calcium, omega-3-fatty acids, and antioxidants. They also absorb toxins from your digestive system.
- Teas/ water/Ice: Green/herbal teas, water or ice are excellent substitutes for recipes that ask you to add milk or fruit juice. Green tea is known to be beneficial for weight loss. Herbal teas add that hint of flavour.
Should I Opt for a smoothie diet?
No, you shouldn’t substitute your regular meals for smoothies. Though a smoothie diet will help you lose weight quickly, the results are temporary. In the long course, you will gain more weight than just the lost weight.
It is recommended that you have a smoothie for your breakfast and eat your traditional foods for lunch or dinner. You can substitute one meal for a smoothie, once in a while.