Picking the right running shoes is not as easy as just walking into a store and choosing anything off the shelf. Finding the best-fitting shoe is one of the most tricky and difficult things to do. To ensure that you don’t injure yourself while running, it’s essential that you pick the right kind of shoe that fits properly from toe to heel.
For those hoping to pick the right pair, here’s what you need to look out for:
- Your heel should fit properly, which means it should neither be loose nor too tight. It should be easy for you to slide your feet out. Watch out for any irritation. Any sort of discomfort could lead to soreness and will only increase the same once you start running.
- Your feet should fit perfectly around your instep. What this essentially means is that your toes need to have enough space for movement within the shoe. Any sort of pressure and excess amount of tightness will only lead to uneasiness.
- One of the best ways to judge is you’ve picked the right shoe for running is to see if you can pinch at least a quarter of an inch along the widest part of your foot. If you’ve opted for a narrow shoe then your little toe will feel the edge of the shoe. This must be avoided.
- Running can lead to swelling of your feet, so make sure there is sufficient amount of space left between the shoe and your longest toe.
- After wearing the shoe, check if you can bend the tip into the floor. The right pair of shoe will enable you to do so with ease.
- One of the most important ways to check if you have picked the right pair of shoes is to wear it and trying walking around for a bit. The shoe needs to perfectly fit the contours of your feet or else it would make running a pain more than pleasure.
Avoid these common mistakes
- Don’t buy your pair of shoes for the sake of looks! One of the most common mistakes most people do is to choose running shoes of the basis of its colour and looks. Agreed that there’s nothing wrong in being fashionable but when it comes to picking up the right pair of shoes for running then you don’t need to pay too much of attention to the way it looks. Pay more attention to the feel and fit of the shoes.
- Don’t pick a shoe because it available for a lesser price. Never compromise on the quality ever. If you choose the wrong pair of shoes it will only cause harm and hence it’s important you don’t choose feasibility over quality. Invest in a right pair of shoes, it would have a longer life span.
- Don’t pick a shoe which is too small. Some people are just embarrassed to pick a bigger shoe size and hence end up opting for a wrong shoe. Tight-fitting shoes will lead to blisters and sore toenails.
- Don’t assume your shoe size ever! Online shopping today has become a fad and most people fall in the trap of exciting offers available. Always physically try the shoe before buying it. This is also important because shoe sizes vary from brand to brand.
Running is one of the best and most rejuvenating form of exercise. If you’re really serious about pursuing this form of physical activity then make sure that you pick the right pair of shoes. However, this is not the only thing you need to watch out for. Ensure that you have proper warm-up and cool down sessions. Following a healthy eating pattern too will help your overall performance. If you’re a beginner then choosing a guide would also be of additional help. The bottom line is: Be well equipped physically and mentally to ensure that you don’t injure yourself at any given point in time.