Are you someone who is worried about your flabby arms? If so, then you need not worry anymore! For those who thought they will have to do with flabby arms for the rest of their lives, believe it or not, just making a few changes can give you firm and fabulous arms. A combination of healthy eating and specific arm toning exercises will most definitely help you overcome those ‘bat-wings’!
Here’s a look at how you can get rid of flabby arms forever:
- Be realistic: There is no shortcut to success. It is extremely essential to understand that spot reduction is not possible, especially in your arms. For those who are on a weight loss routine will notice that typically you lose weight off your tummy before any other body part. However, having said this, it is absolutely possible to have firm arms if you focus on reducing your overall fat percentage and build on lean muscle mass. Remember, balance is the key to getting fabulous arms.
- Eat healthy: Not many people know that eating healthy is more important that doing the right kind of exercises, if one is looking to lose weight. Please note, if you starve you will only worsen the situation. The idea is to avoid food high in saturated fat and give your body the right amounts of carbohydrates, protein, fibre and the essential fatty acids. If you focus on reducing your overall body fat, the flabs will disappear gradually.
- Focus on the right kind of exercises: A combination of high intensity cardio with strength training is a must for all those looking to get rid of flabby arms. While an intense cardio routine will help you get rid of your overall body fat, the weight training exercises will help build your muscles, in turn giving you that toned look. Remember, you may do all the right arm toning exercises, however, the result will only show if you focus on burning off all the excess fat that cover your muscles.
Not just this, it is also important that you do the right kind of arm-toning exercises to obtain maximum results. It is essential to set up a workout routine, which focuses on a minimum of 4 different exercises for your arms. You must also target the different muscle groups and try to perform a minimum of 3 sets with at least 12 repetitions for each exercise. However, please do not overdo any of these exercises because the last thing you would really want is to injure yourself.
Here’s also a look at 5 flab-busting exercises that will do wonders for you:
- Push ups: One of the best exercises, not just for your arms, but other muscles groups around it is the humble push up always works. Push ups target both your bicep and triceps. To perform a push up, here’s what you have to do:
- Lie down face-first on the floor with your legs together.
- Place your palm shoulder width apart and relax your neck.
- Slowly with the help of your arm strength raise yourself up until your arms are fully extended. Mind you, your body must be in a straight line from head to toe.
- Gradually lower your body until your elbows are at a 90 degree angle.
- Slowly raise yourself up again to the stretched arm position. This is one repetition.
- Beginners can relax a bit by placing their knees on the floor while performing the same routine with their arms.
- Back dips: An exercise that focuses on building the triceps, all you need is a bench or an exercise step or even a regular chair placed against the wall will do. Here’s how you can master this exercise:
- With your back straight sit on the bench or chair and extend your legs in front of you.
- Firmly hold on to the edge of your bench with your fingers facing down and slowly slide away from the bench without moving your feet.
- Hold on to that position for couple of seconds and then gradually lower your body, as you continue to keep your back straight. Try and lower yourself until your arms reach a 90 degree angle.
- Push your body back to the starting position. This completes one repetition.
- Bicep curls: One of the basic exercises of weight lifting, bicep curls focus on building the three muscles of the bicep. One would need a set of dumbbells that weight anywhere between 2.5 to 10 kg. Here’ how you can perfect a bicep curl:
- With a dumbbell on each hand, stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Relax your arms and neck.
- Hold your elbows at your hip bones and slowly raise both your dumbbells until the forearm reaches your chest.
- Hold for couple of seconds before you gradually lower the dumbbells back to its starting position. Always focus on keeping your back straight and pull your core in.
- Side plank reverse fly: An exercise which focuses on building your overall upper body strength, the side plank is a slightly advanced exercise. However, it is doable once you get the form right. Here’s how you can do this awesome exercise:
- Lie down on one side and prop your upper body with the help of your arm or elbow.
- Place your feet on top of each other and slowly lift your hips off the floor. Your body should be in a diagonal line.
- Now, grab some weight with your free hand and stretch the arm straight up.
- Gradually lower the weight in front of you, until your arm is vertical to your body.
- Slowly raise the weight back up. This completes one repetition.
- Arm circles: An easy and very effective exercise, the arm circle can be performed anywhere and at any time of the day. This exercise not only tones your bicep and triceps, but also tones your shoulders and back. Here’s how you can do this exercise:
- Keep your feet at shoulder level and stretch your arms out to the sides. Ensure that they are in line with your shoulders.
- Now, slowly rotate your arms clock-wise in small circular motions without moving your elbows.
- After completing 20 reps, rotate your arms in an anti-clockwise motion.
Do take a look at some of the exercise videos available online before starting your routine – that will give you a better idea on the form and posture. Also consider buying a set of dumbbells of varied weights so that you can do these exercises in the comfort of your own home.