If you’re someone who’s hit plateau in your fitness routines, then it’s time to incorporate High-Intensity Interval Training
Workouts can become monotonous and more often than not can lead to your body getting used to the pull and push from a particular exercise. At such times incorporating a high-intensity interval training schedule will give your body that much needed fat-burning boost. As the name clearly suggests, HIIT is any workout that alternates between an extreme burst of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity.
For instance, run as fast as you can for a minute and then walks for 2 minutes at a moderate pace. Repeat this 3-minute workout pattern 5 times for at least 15 minutes. Believe us, this will instantly push your body to the fat burning zone. Mind you, this may sound very simple, but the fact of the matter is it’s one of the most effective forms of a fat-blasting workout.
Here’s a look at 8 reasons why HIIT is the way you should go:
- Efficient: Those who are pressed for time can turn to HIIT. You don’t need to take extra time out for this – even a 15 minute break during lunch is sufficient enough. According to researchers, a 15-minute HIIT schedule performed 3 times a week is more effective than a person jogging on the treadmill for an hour.
- Burn more fat: Wouldn’t we all love to burn more fat every time we carry out any physical activity? Given a choice, we’re sure that all of us wished our bodies were a fat-burning furnace. Those who’ve struggled to battle that stubborn fat, HIIT is your saviour! Your body burns more calories during an HIIT workout and more importantly even after a workout. It also gives your body’s repair cycle a much-needed boost.
- Healthy heart: During a workout, most people start feeling uneasy when their heart starts pounding away to glory. HIIT gives your heart a break from intense workouts and instead trains it to adapt to a smarter exercise routine. This change in the pace of your workout at regular intervals gives your heart a better chance to carry out a prolonged workout schedule.
- Equipment-free luxury: Exercises like running, jogging, swimming, roping etc. are all excellent for an HIIT workout. The beauty about these cardio forms is that you don’t need any kind of equipment whatsoever. All you need to do is plan a high and low intensity workout pattern and combine them with a few push-ups and pull-ups to reap maximum benefits.
- Lose fat, not muscles: When you combine the goodness of HIIT along with strength training, the chances of you preserving all your muscle mass is high. Most people assume that running for an hour continuously is the best way to melt fat. Agreed that you burn a lot of calories by doing so, but you could well be losing out on your muscle mass as well. So don’t let those hard earned muscles go wasted. Instead become smart and use HIIT to ensure you burn fat and not muscles.
- Metabolism booster: We all know the importance of having a good metabolic rate, especially if you’re looking to lose fat. Though diet does play an important role in boosting metabolism, you cannot ignore the significance of a physical activity. HIIT stimulates the production of human growth hormone (HGH), which leads to boosting your body’s ability to burn more calories and also slow down your aging process.
- Place doesn’t matter: You don’t need a treadmill or a set of dumbbells that you find at a health center – all you need is some will power. You can either do it within the four walls of your home or just at a local park. Since the concept of HIIT is very simple, you can have several bursts of HIIT during your day. One of the best times to carry out an HIIT schedule is first thing in the morning. It not only kick starts your body’s metabolism, but also gives you a rejuvenated start to your day.
- Not a piece of cake! If you think that HIIT is easy, then try it out once before making such claims. It sounds easy and looks like a piece of cake, but when you actually carry out an HIIT schedule you will be left gasping for breath.
So friends, don’t let monotony set in your workout schedule. Give your body the awesomeness of an HIIT workout and allow yourself to wow others. Remember, couple your workout with a healthy eating plan. Performing an HIIT workout alone won’t help you get rid of all that fat. Eat right and see how you transform your body in no time.