Jiggly and flabby bat wings are a cause of concern for many, especially overweight women. While most fitness enthusiasts will always advocate a decrease in fat percentage to achieve a well-toned body, what can also boost your goals is proper muscle-toning exercises.
The largest muscle in your arms is triceps and it is this very muscle that plays a vital role in your arm definition. A routine focusing on building tricep strength not only makes you feel the burn in your arms, but also assists in building your upper body and core muscles.
A variety of tricep exercises two-three days a week will do wonders. Don’t complicate your moves. These 5 exercises are easy and will help you in building those sexy arms. Go sleeveless in no time!
- Triceps Pushup: Something as simple as pushups can change the way your body looks. A tricep pushup is slightly different from the conventional pushup. The perfect tricep pushup: With your feet hip-width apart, place your hands directly below your shoulders. Now slowly lower your body to the ground keeping your elbows close to your sides. Try and touch your chest to the floor, but with your hips still raised. Return to a straight-arm plank position. Do a minimum of 3 sets with 10 reps each.
Tip: Ensure you tighten your core. If you find this challenging then you can drop down your knees.
- Triceps lift: Most women assume that working out with weights add to the bulk. However, what they don’t know is that women will never bulk the way men do and weight training will only help them sport a well-toned body. Triceps lift is one such exercise that includes the use of dumbbells.
The perfect tricep lift: Hold a dumbbell in your right hand. Stand in a split stance, keeping your left foot forward. Slightly bend your left knee. Lower your torso, but ensure your back is straight. Slowly lift your arm backwards, pointing the weight up to the roof. From that position, pulse your right arm up and down without moving your shoulders. Do a minimum of 15 pulses before switching sides. Three reps each would work fine.
Tip: Start with lesser weights and then increase gradually. If you’re goal is to lose fat, then do more reps with lesser weight. If you’re aiming for bulk then give weight progression a shot.
- Triceps extension: A classic workout, especially for beginners, the triceps extension works beautifully in toning your arms. This workout is also known to improve your overall upper body posture.
The perfect triceps extension: Stand shoulder-width apart. Grab one dumbbell with both hands and hold it overhead. Keep your elbows pointed towards the ceiling. Slowly bend your elbows and allow the dumbbell to lower down. Gradually extend your arm back to bring the dumbbell back overhead. Do a minimum of 3 sets of 15 reps each.
Tip: Keep your glutes and core tight while performing this exercise. It will help in strengthening those muscles as well.
- Side plank with dumbbell raise: The exercise name might appear complicated, but if you get the form right it’s one of the best moves for toned triceps.
The perfect side plank dumbbell raise: Come to a side plank on your right. Grab some weights with your left hand. With your feet stacked, slowly raise your hips off the ground. Gradually, with the dumbbell in your hand extend your left arms straight above your shoulder. Hold for a couple of seconds before you lower your arm back down until it’s parallel to the floor.
Tip: Try adding a cardio routine like 1-minute jump rope between sets to boost your body’s fat-burning process.
- Back/Bench dips: A slightly advanced exercise, but an extremely effective one, the back dips or bench dips as they are popularly known pushes your body a little more in achieving those toned triceps.
The perfect bench dip: Place a bench behind your back and stand facing away from it. Hold the bench on its edge with your hands shoulder-width apart. Keep your hands fully extended. Now extend your legs forward and bend at the waist, keeping your torso perpendicular to the bench. This is your starting position. Gradually lower your body and try bending your elbows till it reaches an angle close to 90 degrees. Use our triceps to lift your body to the starting position. 3 sets of 15 reps each would be ideal.
Tip: Keep the elbows as close as possible throughout the exercise. Look straight to avoid any tension in your neck and lower back area. For variation, you can place your legs on top of another flat bench or you could also add some weights to your lap for intensity.
Remember, any fat burning workout will show results if clubbed with bursts of high intensity cardio. Also spot reduction is a myth. Workout your triceps not more than 2-3 times a week and gift yourself those sexy arms within weeks.
Top tip: Focus on your form. Maintain a steady pace and breathe normally